Sometimes having a little helper can be more of a pain than pleasure, but so far Mallory is really good at putting all the things back that she takes out, while she's "helping me".
A few weeks ago, I ran out of toilet paper in the upstairs bathroom, and had to run downstairs to get more. Once I was back up, Mallory was ready and willing to help me put the new roll on the toilet paper holder. She struggled with getting the new roll started, but in the end was very proud of herself and her accomplishment. She also started "helping" me by unrolling the new roll of toilet paper, ripping it off, and throwing it into the waste basket. Who can blame her? After all, that is where I put all the little pieces of toilet paper that were left over from her trying to get the roll started. She was only doing what she saw me do! Since then, we have had to take a break from the toilet paper helping, as she found several of the new rolls in the hall closet and wanted to get them started as well. The toilet paper now sits on the top shelf!
Mallory is also a great helper when it's time to fill the fridge with pop. She had been, and still is, really good at handing the cans to me, one by one to stack in the fridge. On this particular day, she stacked her very own Coke can. Again, she was so proud!
Every morning I get a hand in getting ready. Mallory is very eager to "help" me with my hair. In her world that means taking out all of my hair binders, barrettes and clips, and dumping them out onto the bathroom floor. She is also very interested in my nail polish. I would LOVE to paint her nails for her, but there is no way my little busy body helper is going to sit still long enough for that! The VERY cool part about this type of help, Mallory concentrates very hard on all of her tasks, and is more than willing to concentrate on making sure each last piece she took out, is put back in it's place for tomorrow's hair time. I think she has a small part of my OCD in her. Not sure if that's good or bad just yet.
Lastly, when we came back from Duluth, Mallory was eager to help me put the suitcase away. She even wanted to carry it down the stairs. I had a screaming little lady on my hands when I tried to explain to her she was too small to carry such a big item around the house, much less down a flight of stairs. HA! She was so determined, but was happy to "help" put it back in the closet when we got downstairs. Oh yes, all this was down while wearing daddy's Crocs!
I love all of the "help" I get, whether it's wanted or not. It's such a great bonding experience for Mallory and me, and the whole time she's learning. I love watching her figure something out, like the stacking of the pop cans. That was pretty cool! Only four days to go and Mallory will be 18 months old. Unreal.



No comments:
Post a Comment