Thursday, July 7, 2011

Valleyfair

With Christopher's family in town from Texas, we were looking for something kid/family friendly for all of us to enjoy for the day. With the suggestion coming from Texas, we looked into Valleyfair. I instantly said no, thinking there would not be enough for Mallory to do, considering the cost, but I was convinced we could still have a good time, and well, they did just open Planet Snoopy.

When I started looking at the schedule and general info on their website, I learned that Veterans and Active Duty military would be free for the 4th of July weekend. This was great news since both Christopher and his brother are ARMY Veterans. Not only were they free, the rest of us were discounted at half price. Mallory, being under 3, was free, so for the low cost of $28.00, the three of us, along with Christopher's Brother, Sister-in-Law and their two kids, spent the 2nd of July at Valleyfair. Here is Mallory, so ready to go, with her cousins.
Once we arrived, we were met with a pretty nice surprise. Mallory, at 37 inches tall, was big enough to ride several rides with a parent companion. So we took on the Scrambler right away. She LAUGHED the whole time! I knew we were in for a great day!

Some of us decided to try out the Extreme Swing (Christopher wimped out) and boy was it worth it. This is easily my new favorite ride at Valleyfair! I know it's been there a few years, but we didn't catch it until now. (We are in the middle, I am wearing a green striped tank top, screaming my head off).
After a lot of walking and a bunch more rides, we decided to take a ride on the Minnesota Valley Railroad Train. The kids just loved it, and it was a nice break from all the walking in the heat.
Then it was off to Planet Snoopy. Nothing but ride after ride for the little tots. We checked out everything we could, a few on her own, and a few with mom or dad. Even though we had to wait in a few lines (not many really, the park was pretty empty, surprisingly enough), Mallory did a great job waiting her turn. She was a very patient little girl, and handled all of it very well.
She really enjoyed these little race cars. She was squealing with delight as we whipped around the corners. I would like to think she was having fun, but I think her squeals came from the fact that I was overwhelmed with this ride. It looked so mild from the line, but once in, it was CRAZY fast and quick around those corners. Even so, Mommy and Mallory had a great time on this ride!
Planet Snoopy was super fun for the girls and just the right amount of rides. There was even more for the little ones to explore when we headed over to the area near the Corkscrew. There is a little section there, just for kids as well. There is also The Monster and The Ferris Wheel, which we also enjoyed. I think this was Mallory's favorite part of the park. She was able to ride all of the rides herself (even though she rode a couple with her cousin), she was on top of the world. I will let the pictures speak for themselves...
We ended the night at Steel Venom, this one is for the adults, but I think Mallory was ready to ride it anyway. She LOVED watching it go roaring by, and got super excited when we took this picture, thinking it was the real seat.
For those of you that know me well, you remember that I worked at Valleyfair for a few years in the past. I never knew how much fun this park really was. I mean, we went a few years ago (before Mallory) and we had a good time, but nothing compares to this trip. As a family, we bonded, laughed, I cried (of course), and had such a wonderful time, I did NOT want this day to come to an end. I am speechless about how well behaved our kids were. ALL THREE OF THEM were perfect children. Not one meltdown, not one begging child, not even one tear. It was an amazing day, I will never forget. I don't think Mallory will either, she's been talking about Valleyfair ever since.

2 comments:

The Father of Five said...

You started something now.

A TRADITION!!

She (and you guys) will love her annual trips to Valleyfair!!

Mallory said...

You are correct Dave. Hopefully it can become a tradtion with Christopher's side of the family for when they are here in MN!