Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Dakota County Fair

Ever since we went to Valleyfair and ever since Mallory saw Despicable Me, she had been BEGGING me to go on a roller coaster. I figured our annual trip to the Dakota County Fair would be a good time to let her ride one. This year I learned the fair has a Military day and Christopher being a veteran, would get free admission and parking. Mallory was free, so once again we only had to pay for me! So lucky to have gone on Military day, we ran into Rebecca (Mallory's old daycare) and her three kids, enjoying their unlimited rides wristbands. They were able to take advantage of more free things since their husband/dad is currently deployed. We got to spend a little bit of our afternoon with them, which was a nice surprise.

Nothing at the fair has really changed, other than the location of things and the addition of some food choices. What has changed for us is Mallory at the fair. The Dakota County Fair holds a special place in our hearts as it was Mallory's first true outing three years ago. She was about 10 days old when we took her to the fair for the first time. Christopher and I were so happy to see her running about and excited to see all the animals, exhibits, rides and goodies. She was very excited to be there.

After stretching our tummy's a little bit, checking out the pigs, cows and sheep, we headed over to the midway. The first ride we went on? The roller coaster of course. Mallory was tall enough to ride on her own, but she opted for me to ride with her. Parents did not have to pay to ride with their children on this ride, so I was okay with it. I had a small change of heart once we got going. I have no clue on on earth this carnival company felt it okay to have adults ride in this thing. I am not a large person by any means, yes I can stand to lose a few pounds, but tall I am not, and my knees were in my chest. You can't really see it in these pictures, but my knees were getting shredded with every bump, twist and turn this thing took. I guess the main thing is Mallory had a BLAST. She was squealing with delight! I guess I look like I am having fun too.
Next Mallory checked out the "fun cars".
We also checked out the big slide, the Ferris Wheel and the carousel too. Last but not least, we had to ride on Blues Clues. She had a lot of fun on each and every ride and we had a lot of fun watching her!
Next we headed over to the farm area. The fair has a small petting zoo with farm animals. We got to pet some goats, pigs and ponies. On the way over we saw Mallory's favorite - CHICKENS!
We also got to try out a real life tractor. I am sorry Dad, I know it's an evil, green tractor, but it was the only one they had. We literally had to peel Mallory off this tractor. There was a line, three boys deep, patiently waiting their turn, but Mallory wasn't giving in. She did NOT want to come down of the tractor. Looks like Grandpa Hauer will have a helper for harvest time!
We finished the day with an ice cream treat from Cold Stone. I actually tried the cookie dough on a stick, dipped in white chocolate and covered in coconut. I learned very quickly my old gut can't handle that amount of sweet stuff anymore. I was a little green afterwards. I think Christopher and Mallory really enjoyed their treat though.
We had a great day, saw some old friends, ate to our hearts content and went home smiling. Thank you to the Dakota County Fair for another year of fun, food and memories!

No comments: