Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hawaii

After a long absence from the blog, I am back and ready to write.  There is a good reason for the absence, I promise.  Mallory's Grandma Dee treated her family to a 10 day trip to Maui, Hawaii.  The family included Grandma Dee, Mallory, Christopher and I.  Mallory's Uncle Scott, Aunt Cindy and her cousins Hunter and Mackenzie.  Needless to say, we were all pretty excited and FULL of gratitude.

On June 15th, we headed to the airport for the loooonnnngggg flight to Maui, via Los Angeles.  Mallory has been on a plane once before when we went to San Diego and just like that flight, she handled this one like a champ.  She did so good, it's hard for me to put it into words.  We were so pleased and relieved.  Once in Maui, we took the tram to pick up our rental car and were were on our way to Menehune Shores, our home for the week.  Here is Mallory's first official picture in Hawaii, just outside of Dollar Car Rental.
It will be impossible for me to write about everything that we did in those 10 days in detail for a few reasons.  One, I am not that good of a writer.  Two, I am not sure I can remember all of the details, as we had a very busy week.  Three, you would be reading this post all day and night.  I am going to let the pictures do the talking with a few captions of where we are.  ENJOY!

Our view from Menehune Shores!  
BEACH TIME!  
Local Boys Shaved Ice in Lahaina, Maui.
Another beach day, there were just a few!  ;) 
The 139 Year Old Banyan Tree in Lahaina, Maui.
Mallory joined us on the boat for our snorkeling adventure.  I was in the back of the boat,  just a little sea sick.  :( 
A drive to South Maui.  That hill in the background is the southern most tip of the island Maui. 
Walking on Big Beach.
One of the MANY waterfalls on The Road to Hana.
As beautiful as she can be, on the way to our 
dinner cruise aboard the Maui Princess
Maui Princess Dinner Cruise.
10,023 Feet ~ Haleakala Volcano
Old Lahaina Luau
Maui Ocean Center 
Since she was to young to snorkel, we took her to an aquarium to see all the fish we got to see!  
Hands down the coolest souvenir we took home! 
There's Oahu! 
Pearl Harbor 
Standing at the USS Arizona Memorial. 
Behind us is the USS Missouri 
where the peace treaty was signed.  
MISSILE MAMA! 
Driving the USS Bowfin Submarine! 
USS Bowfin Submarine
Richards/Ludgate Family Dinner before heading home. Honolulu, HI

We had the most amazing time in Hawaii.  Maui is probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen.  I've not traveled the south pacific before and I am guessing there is something out there in comparison, but I believe me when I tell you, Maui is magical.  There was something about that island.  I have a different frame of mind since we've returned.  Life on Maui is so relaxed and I can see why.  Their motto is "hang loose".  Everyone there was very kind to the tourists and so very welcoming.  It was very hard to leave.  We all talked about how could we make some money so we could stay for a while longer.  There have even been conversations since we got home about what it would take to move there.  Not so serious conversations that sometimes get a serious tone to them.  No joke.  If you ever get the chance to travel to Hawaii, DO NOT pass on it.  You will not regret the decision.  Heaven on earth.      

No comments: