I am not naive. I knew when Mallory started going to school our luck would change. Last year around this time she got the sniffles and a loose cough that lasted maybe a week. She also contracted Hand, Foot and Mouth disease which of all the symptoms that come with that the fever blisters were the worst. No real fever, no vomiting, none of that. We were still feeling lucky.
This school year has been much, much different. Since Mallory started her second year of pre-school in September, she has had a runny nose. Albeit several different versions of a runny nose, it's been constantly runny. She will go several days without one, but for the most part, it's ever present. Right before Christmas she contracted the Fifth's Disease. She did not get major symptoms to that but her face took a beating with the rash....
It took Fifth's about two weeks to take it's course and leave for good. Since then she has had a runny nose. This past week we added a cough and a low grade fever from time to time. She also had a battle with pink eye. It's VERY different this time around with Mallory. She is pretty lethargic most of the time and 2.5 hours at school WIPES her out. She has been such a trooper with her daily activities still giving it a good effort. We have kept her home from school once and always give her the choice if she wants to go or not. Case and point today, we gave her the option to skip swimming lessons. She said she wanted to go and would try very hard. When we got to class we learned she was the only student. This means she gets one on one the whole thirty minutes with no breaks. Twenty minutes into the lesson, the tears started rolling. She was completely exhausted. For the last week or so, she's been napping daily and today was no different. I had to wake her up after two hours. MY POOR BABY!
I am not used to this with my child, it's very new to us as parents. I know we've been very lucky to have such a healthy child. I really hope this is not the way of the future. Everyone I know with kids tells me "it's just gonna get worse" and "wait till she's in middle school". I would like to believe since Mallory has been a very healthy child so far, this is just a bump in the road. Please let it be! There is one thing I will NOT complain about and that is the extra snuggle time. It's been at least a year if not longer since Mallory fell asleep on me. LOVED IT!
So, with all this being told, you should know I spent the weekend and today cleaning our house and disinfecting everything (thanks to Jessie for the hospital quality disinfectant). MULTIPLE loads of laundry. Towels, sheets, blankets and pajamas. Over and over in the washing machine/dryer. I have also completely broke down each bathroom and cleaned the living day lights out of them. All while I too battle the runny nose, stuffy head, sore throat because why not have it passed on to me? It's only fair right? I feel bad for Christopher as he's been keeping his distance to the best of his abilities in hopes of not catching anything. My goodness. The crud.




2 comments:
Nah... I don't think it will get "worse". It's just part of having kids. The more they are exposed to other kids the more they bring home.
It's the early years that the kids all get HFM, Fifth's, Chicken Pox, etc, etc, etc...
I too hate having sick kids (you can imagine what it's like with five kids in the house - and how it hits all of 'em - one at a time) - but you are right... Sick kids will still snuggle with their parents even if they wont when they are healthy!
Hope everyone gets healthy at your place soon!
Yeah FOF, I know you know what I am talking about. Thanksfully we're all on the mend....for now.
Post a Comment