Sunday, June 16, 2013

Footfire Soccer

 
Summer vacation has begun and now that summer has finally arrived here in Minnesota, we are able to partake in some summer sporting activities.  A few months ago Christopher and I started looking up the different summer Park and Rec programs that Farmington had to offer.  Mallory has long expressed an interest in playing soccer.  I think it started back when Rebecca was watching her on a daily basis and both of her girls were playing soccer.  Because Mallory plugged right into their family like she was one of their own, the girls played and practiced soccer with Mallory.  Unfortunately we had to wait until this summer.  Turns out the youngest a player can be for this program is four years old at the start of the season.  She missed the cut off by two months last year.  This year Mallory was finally old enough! 
 
Footfire soccer is a four week long program in which they teach basic soccer skills.  Her team consists of 12 kids, boys and girls, with two volunteer coaches.  Mallory loves it.  She just loves it.  We know we need to start looking for the next soccer program to enroll her in.  During her first week she learned how to "dribble".  Here is the Wikipedia definition:  
 
In sports, dribbling refers to the maneuvering of a ball around a defender through short skillful taps or kicks with either the legs (football/soccer), hands (basketball), stick (bandy) or swimming strokes (water polo). The purpose of such an action is to bring the ball past a defender legally and to create opportunities to score.     
 
They also learned how to protect the ball and how to start and stop to a whistle.  I know I am her mother and I am certain I am biased, but Mallory seemed to have some natural soccer skills.  There was a portion of the practice in which the coaches tried to steal the ball away from the players but Mallory knew to turn her back to them as they approached and to keep the ball close to her so they can't sneak in and steal it away.  She is a delight to watch!  



 
 
Periodically the coaches allow for water breaks.  I don't think I have ever seen Mallory drink so much water.  She was so excited to use her CamelBak water bottle!  She has had that water bottle for two years now, but she has never had a real reason to use it.  Now she has Footfire Soccer!  
 
 
At the end of the session, they got to play red light/green light and use their newly acquired skills.  Mallory sure picked up on everything quickly.  Naturally not touching the ball was difficult for all the kids, but they all seemed to get the hang of the basics by the end of the first session.  Mallory was so happy, can you tell?
 
Soccer is pretty huge in Farmington.  I really do hope this is just the beginning to a long future in the sport.  I didn't have soccer in my life growing up so I am very excited to learn and partake in it with Mallory each step of the way.  It's definitely a plus that she's so happy and excited about it.  I am guessing we'll be signed up for fall soccer soon.  

No comments: