On Friday, May 31st, Mallory attended her last day of preschool at Wee Tigers in Farmington. I swear, it was just yesterday she was starting and actually it was almost two years ago. The above photo is her first day of preschool in September 2011 and her last day in May 2013.
We are sad the end of preschool is here but excited for the future. In the fall Mallory will be a kindergartner at Akin Road Elementary School in Farmington. She will get to ride the bus. She will gain more independence from us, her parents. She will make new friends. She will thrive. I will cry.
From day one, Mallory LOVED preschool. Some of the other parents were in the hallway before class on that day one and their children were clinging to them, crying, sobbing and trying to talk their way out of going to school. Matter of fact, Mallory's class size that first year decreased by four in the first three weeks of school. We did not have any concerns going into it that Mallory would have any sort of separation issues, but you never know how your child is going to respond until you are in the situation. Nary a school day came and went that Mallory didn't want to go. In two years of preschool, she missed only one day. What a relief to know your child is not anxious at school giving them the opportunity to focus on learning.
Through her second year of preschool, she really started to show she was learning some life skills and reading abilities. She had a nice circle of friends and improved greatly with her art projects. This year had a more challenging curriculum. This was presented to us during orientation. We were made aware of the fact that most curriculum's have been pushed up a year meaning what you traditionally learn in first grade is being taught in kindergarten and what you learn in kindergarten is being taught in preschool. Was Mallory ready for this? We didn't know but she sure was willing to try! Each week she would tell us all about the letter(s) she learned about and it quickly dawned on me they were starting to teach the early stages of reading. Reading.....at four years old. Along with everything else she gained during this second year of preschool, Mallory can now read a short book. She still needs some assistance with vowels and how they sound but for the most part, can sound out any word. Unreal. We are so pleased with Wee Tigers Preschool!
On the last day of school this year, parents were invited into the classroom for the last hour of class to see what their children have been up to the last nine months and to participate in an ice cream social. Below you will see her classroom and the carpet. Mallory is in the middle on a blue square and to her right (your left) is Danny (in the Vikings jersey). Danny and Mallory became quite the little couple over the school year. My favorite part of that little relationship is they really do care about one another. They are aware of where each other is all the time and want to make each other happy. Danny is a very nice little boy, total charmer. I got to know his parents, grandma and little brother Mason pretty well this year. What a nice family! We are lucky to have known them.
The next picture shows Mallory in her element. She just adored her teachers and was always smiling while in the classroom. Here she is listening contently to instructions.
The next few photos are from the last day. I have captioned them accordingly... | Mallory's autograph. Next to her partner in crime, Lucy. |
| Mallory's nose and Danny having an ice cream treat. |
| Showing off her preschool playground. |
| BESTIES Lucy, Addison, Amira and Mallory. |
Mallory and Mrs. Thompson
Mallory and Mrs. Meliza. The teacher who can do it all!
Lastly is a video which is about 12 minutes long. It's a good collaboration of what she learned this year. Christopher and I LOVED watching her participate and we got to participate a little as well. What an afternoon! I cried a little, not as much as I would've like to let myself cry, but a little when I hugged Mrs. Meliza. She really is a phenomenal preschool teacher. It takes a special touch and she has it. Mallory has grown so much mentally this past year. I hear it when I listen to her talk, play and read. Education is never a waste. Never.
Mallory did not quite understand the idea of summer vacation. We've been trying to explain it to her and I think last night she finally got it. I had asked her to clean up her play room. She started to clean up and them came out with a suitcase. She said she couldn't work anymore because it was her summer vacation and she was going to Hawaii. She was generous enough to ask me if I wanted to come along. I think she's got it all figured out now. All that school has made her SMART!
Thank you Wee Tigers preschool for two wonderful years of education and fun. We couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. Bring on kindergarten!




No comments:
Post a Comment