Wednesday, May 28, 2014

At Kindergartens End

As I write this, Mallory has four actual days of kindergarten left.  Four.  That's one day less then years she's been alive.  I have been putting off this blog entry for a few weeks now because I just don't want to believe that kindergarten is over.  Now I realize that she's not going to be a senior in high school next year or anything quite that extreme, but to me, kindergarten is a year of school where the innocence of children is still celebrated and recognized.  There seems to be so much pressure on our kids today to do so well in school during these very early years that their child like behaviors are somehow unacceptable.  I just want Mallory to be a kid for as along as she can and the thought of that dwindling makes me sad.  

Now onto the happy stuff!  HA!  On Friday, May 16th, Christopher and I were honored to attend the Akin Road Elementary School Kindergarten Program.  All of the kindergarten classes took part in this program which included singing, dancing and refreshments!  It was wonderful to see Mallory amongst all of her friends and to put some faces to all those names we keep on hearing!  Here is Mallory, dressed in her best, right before the program started... 

Once the program started, each class sang two different songs and then all the kindergartners sang two group songs.  Mallory's Kinder Journey (all day kindergarten) sang Boogaloo Song and Let's get Fit.  The entire group sang/signed May There Always Be Sunshine and sang Kindergarten.  Enjoy the videos of each below.  


Boogaloo Song

Let's Get Fit 
May There Always Be Sunshine
Kindergarten


All the kids did very well and seemed to have a great time!  After the program, refreshments were served and we were able to socialize with other parents and teachers.  For those of you that know Mallory, here are some faces to go with those names you have been hearing all school year long. 

Principal Lisa Reichelt
Teacher Becca Gangl

Over the school year we have learned that Mallory is quite the social butterfly.  She is well liked by most kids and has a lot of friends.  Now, you all know our neighbor Lucy is one of her best friends but they were not in the same classroom this year so Mallory developed quite a friendship with Ellie.    A friendship serious enough that one weekday, not that long ago, we ended up at Justice  to purchase a best friend necklace the two of them could share.  They are quite the pair and have a lot of fun together.  





This was the perfect ending to a perfect kindergarten year.  Having all those kids together in the gym with proud parents and other family members watching their little ones perform was a bit overwhelming for this mom and dad of one so a few tears were shed.  It was a day to remember that's for sure!  The countdown to the end of Kindergarten continues with a field trip to the zoo this Friday which I am lucky enough to have a work schedule that allows me to be off and chaperone.  I am very excited about that.  That feeling may change at the end of the day on Friday since I know I will have a group of kids to watch instead of just Mallory.  HA!  Naw, her class is such a great group of kids, I am the lucky one for sure!  

I can't wait to see what first grade brings.  How many of the same kids will be in first grade class.  How much more she'll improve at reading (which she is already very good at), will math still interest her as much as it does now?  So much room to learn and grow!  Next year she will be considered a school age child.  That will open up a lot of opportunities for her within the school and community programs.  I am certain our little busy body will be as happy as ever to be in first grade. 

BRING ON SUMMER!  

No comments: