As you all know, this past summer Mallory turned four. I am not kidding when I tell you on the morning of her birthday she asked me if she was going to cheerleading that night. I wasn't that interested in signing her up for something that would take her away from the outdoors during summer, so I was able to keep Mallory (and cheerleading) at bay until the school year started. I think Farmington has some of the best ECFE and Community Ed courses around. I am NEVER disappointed when I open the catalog. This fall I found an ad for Cheer America. A one time registration fee of $4.00 (already on board) and a weekly rate of $6.00. Sign me up. Well, sign Mallory up. She was ELATED!
The first class was last Thursday evening. They started with some stretches and cardio, followed by her first attempt at the splits. She may not have gotten all the way to the floor but she did GREAT! Mallory has a tendency to quit if she is the last to complete something or if it's not as easy as she thinks it should be, but not this time. She tried and tried and tried again. We are so proud of her! It also let us know that she genuinely wanted to do this cheerleading gig. No opposition from me, you all know how much I loved being a cheerleader!
Once they were done stretching and such, they started to practice their cheer/dance for the Cheer Festival which will be held in December. I am guessing they will be doing a straddle jump during the routine because they sure did practice one a lot. Here is a little video of that...
I know we've only just begun, but she has not stopped talking about how much she loves cheerleading! I am very happy we were able to find a course which was reasonably priced and fit into our already busy schedule. She's just beaming!
Not only did we start Cheerleading, we have also begun a second year of dance with Just For Kix. This year Mallory is a Pre Petite and has one 45 minute class each Tuesday. They challenge the dancers a little more in this class, they learn new skills and go to class for an additional 15 minutes. Once again she is rocking it. Dance is a little extra special this year because Mallory's BFF Lucy is in the same class with her! I just love watching the two of them practice their dance and talk about class. She will once again have four performances throughout the school year. A winter and spring show, a performance at the Farmington EXPO and a stage show. Just enough to keep us happy and get our money's worth. I am excited she is enjoying dance so much, I never was a dancer so I am happy to experience it through her.
Needless to say, we are running our tails off with practice here, rehearsal there and so on. I wouldn't have it any other way and neither would Mallory. Some nights it gets to be overwhelming, and to the parents of multiple children in multiple activities I tip my hat to you!


No comments:
Post a Comment