When I was pregnant with Mallory I often said I wanted a bald baby. I got a baldy and I loved her baldness. I had no idea it would take 3.5 years for her hair to really start growing. I wasn't too upset that she didn't have long, flowing locks. It was always easy for me to do her hair as I usually just had to comb it a little and that sure made life easier for Christopher on those occasions where he had to get her out the door. When she started pre-school in the fall of 2011, I got to see firsthand how far behind her hair growth really was. She saw it too. Mallory often asked when she was going to get long hair that she could put into a ponytail. I was starting to feel guilt. I can't control it, I know this, but I wondered if my strong will to have a bald baby had anything to do with it.
This past school year, Mallory's hair has really started to grow and fill in. It's longer in the back then on the sides and up front, but it's filling out all over her head. Within the last month her hair has taken on an identity of it's own. It absolutely refuses to cooperate and appears shaggy all the time even though Christopher and I make a strong effort to not have her looking like she just rolled out of bed.
Our neighbor Michelle is a hair stylist so I asked her if it would help to give Mallory's hair a little trim. She thought it would, especially since she has never had a haircut. There was 4.5 years of growth with no maintenance. No wonder it looks so shaggy all the time. Today Michelle set up shop in her kitchen and gave Mallory her very FIRST haircut.
 |
| BEFORE ~ SHAGGY |
 |
| SPRAYING IT DOWN |
 |
DURING
 |
 |
| HERE COME THE CURLS |
 |
AFTER
|
Mallory sat perfectly still and was well prepared. We had been talking about getting her hair cut for some time now. At first she was afraid we were going to cut it off and since she has waited so long for her hair to grow, she was not having any of that idea. I simply explained to her what a trim was all about. All on her own she likened it to trimming her nails. "We don't cut the whole nail off, we just give it a little trim". EXACTLY right Mallory. It only took Michelle ten minutes or so and that GIANT moment in life was done. Another "first" checked off the list. Mallory's hair immediately looked and felt more healthy and clean. She went to school right after and proudly showed her teachers her new look!
No comments:
Post a Comment