Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cookies by Mallory

Since Thanksgiving weekend was going to be two days longer for our family, and we didn't have to pack everything into a two day time span, we decided it was time for Mallory to take part in her first cookie baking process. I figured the best cookies to bake and decorate would be "old fashioned" sugar cookies.

On Saturday I mixed up the dough and on Sunday we dug in. After learning I had run out of flour making the actual cookies, we had to improvise for a location to roll out the dough that wouldn't be too sticky. I learned wax paper works just as good as flour and it's less messy! Mallory was very hands on during the dough prep part, and couldn't wait to use the cookie cutters!
We cut out around five dozen cookies and while some of them didn't make the trip to the pan without peril, we still had plenty of cookies to bake! Once they were all done and cooled, we were going to decorate, but Mallory said she was tired and well, truth be told, she already had her bath, so I was less than interested in getting her all messy again. So, we put off the decorating until Monday.

Tonight was the night, Monday was here, and I think I was more excited to decorate these cookies then Mallory was. We started out with the frosting, and then Mallory had at it with the sprinkles. I am certain she ate more sprinkles than she poured on the cookies, and in reality, she did more dumping than pouring, but either way, she had a lot of fun decorating our cookies. Of course she had to try the cookies to approve, and while her fingers appear to be a permanent shade of blue, I think overall she had a great time and did a wonderful job!

No comments: