Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Shady Summer

I was on a short walk with Mallory tonight, after I got home from work. While we were on our little stroll, I watched her take her sunglasses off, put them back on perfectly and off and on again. As I watched, I was truly amazed that she was actually removing them in the shade, and then putting them back on in the sun. What a smart girl. Her actions have inspired this blog post. When Christopher and I were in Las Vegas in May, we saw this little pair of sunglasses in a store and decided to get them for Mallory, for the summer. We knew it would take some work to get her to understand the concept behind them, but she caught on quicker than expected and has really gotten a lot of use out of her shades this summer.

She seems to really enjoy her sunglasses, and keeps them on all the time, even when we are in the store. We get so many compliments about them, and her wearing them. I have to say, it was worth every penny of that $6.25 we paid for them, all the way from Nevada.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also wanted to update you guys, my faithful readers, on Mallory's one year stats. I realize she is well into her 13th month now, but as you are all aware the computer was on the fritz for a while, and I am still playing catch up.

We saw Dr. Parkos, her pediatrician, on August 4th for Mallory's one year checkup. Mallory did have to get three vaccinations, but seems to be an old pro at it by now. She cried and cried when they were giving her the shots, but seemed to be okay right afterwards. We didn't see any side effects (as usual) from this series and she didn't get any bumps on her legs at the injection sites.

Mallory also had to have some blood drawn to have a lead test done and check her platelet count. This was NOT an easy task. Taking a one year old (that is ALWAYS on the move) and trying to convince her to sit still long enough to squeeze TWO vials of blood out of finger, was definitely something we were not prepared for. Not to mention the fact she was not so happy with the lab tech who is squeezing her finger over and over, because she just poked her with a lance. Poor Mallory, it was not fun, and the sticker she got afterwards did nothing to ease her pain or anger. The good news was her lead tests were normal and her platelets count is accurate. HOORAY!

Here are her official one year stats:

Height = 2 Feet, 6.25 Inches = 84th percentile
Weight = 19 pounds 9 ounces = 25th percentile
Head = 46.6 centimeters = 88th percentile

She is still long and lean, with a big Ludgate head. No, her head is totally fine, it just looks big because she still has NO hair. We are so happy our little lady is healthy and hearty and growing like she should be!

No comments: